What are the requirements to be a Plus Size Model?
- Between 5’8″ and 6’0″ 5’9″ is pretty much minimum for larger markets though Wilhelmina in NYC does represent a few girls who are 5’7″ and 5’8″.
- A size 10, 12, 14, 16 Sizes 8 and 18/20 are also used, but are not as common.
- Toned. You may be a “plus size,” but you may have to be in shape if you model swimwear, lingerie or fitness gear.
- In style and in demand. You must have a look that is current yet not overly trendy. Plus-size models model a lot of “classic” wear. You don’t want to have a buzz cut and a pierced nose if you get called for a Talbot’s shoot. Keep your hair and make-up in fashion.
- Age. Teens through middle age.
- Proportionate. You should be in proportion. Your bust, waist and hips should be about ten inches apart in size (i.e. 42-32-42) or very close. In addition, the shorter you are, the smaller your size should be. Someone who is 5’8″ would be expected to wear a smaller size (12/14) than a taller model. It is all about length and proportion.